So a few months ago, the issue was a single piece of registered mail. The problem now is every piece of mail. It seems that we no longer receive first class mail and no one can tell us why.
We first noticed that there was a problem when we stopped receiving our weekly issue of Time Out New York. The magazine contacted us to confirm our address, which we did, and they had it correct, but the magazines stopped arriving. People sent us holiday cards using the address from our moving announcement/holiday card only to have them returned. We go days without receiving anything at all.

Obviously there's something going on, so I stopped by our local post office. I talked to postal worker Newman and was told that there was nothing that could be done from there. They gave me a phone number for my route's supervisor and told me to call any weekday between 8am and 9am. Awesome... that's a big, convenient window of time.
I called and route supervisor was fairly useless. He acted all confused and said that he would let our carrier know.
So then I called 1-800-ASK-USPS and filed a report. It was referred to customer affairs and I received a call back pretty quickly. The customer affairs guy acted all confused too. He looked us up in his computer and didn't see any forwarding orders, so he was out of ideas.
I'm supposed to call him back tomorrow morning between 7am and 10am so that he can go through the mail himself to look for anything addressed to us. I don't have high hopes.
What I've learned from these experiences is that it's nothing short of a miracle that mail ever gets delivered at all. There's no accountability and no tracking. If something goes wrong, there's nothing you can do.
2 comments:
When Whitney and I moved from Ohio to New York the Post Office lost two weeks of our mail. We put in the change of address forms two weeks early like they said, with the date we were moving on the form. They immediately stopped delivering our mail to Columbus and it never materialized in Rochester. And like your story, no one was accountable, no one knew what happened.
To add to Andrew's story of Post Office woes, I have one from last year. I had tried to send a package of yarn to a woman in California. It was supposed to get there in 3 days. Alas, after some 3 weeks, it still wasn't there, we figured the Post Office must've lost it (they figured so, too) and I was just about to give the woman her Paypal refund when it arrived...at a house down the street from her. Luckily her neighbors were like, "wtf, yarn??".
So now I pay extra for tracking info even when I'm just sending something really inexpensive. It's stupid, but at least that way if the Post Office doesn't do their job, I'll be able to tell. Maybe.
Post a Comment